The final Gluten Freedom post is here! Today I’m sharing a new twist on my most popular recipe on the blog!
This post contains affiliate links.
Six years ago, before going gluten free, I made these delicious baked chili crispitos in honor of my favorite childhood school lunch. It quickly became my most viewed blog post, and continues to be the top recipe here at A Fresh Brewed Faith.
Despite it’s popularity, our household has not seen these fabulous crispitos since my gluten intolerance was diagnosed. Now, at the end of this post series that I’ve had such fun writing, seems like the perfect time to recreate a gluten free version that will stand up to that original, delicious school lunchroom dish!
Lunchroom Nostalgia: Baked Chili Crispitos
1 lb. ground turkey
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground, black pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin
10 large white corn tortillas
1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup mild, chunky salsa
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 in. baking pan to prepare.
2. Place ground turkey in a large skillet and cook thoroughly on medium-high heat, mixing in the chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cumin. When cooked through, remove from heat and set aside.
3. Gently mix together the sour cream and salsa in a small bowl, and set aside.
4. To assemble crispitos, spread one heaping tablespoon of the sour cream/salsa mixture evenly on one side of a tortilla. Fill the tortilla with 1 – 1/2 Tablespoons of ground turkey and about the same amount of shredded cheese. Roll up the tortilla and place in the baking pan. Repeat for each tortilla until the baking pan is filled.
4. Brush the tops of the crispitos with olive oil. This gives it the perfect faux-fried crunch on the outside! Sprinkle the crispitos with any remaining cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
5. Serve and enjoy!